2018 health budget implementation worst in Lagos history, says PHSAI
Chairman of Public Health Sustainable Advocacy Initiative, (PHSAI), Ayo Adebusoye has described the 2018 Lagos State health budget implementation as the worst in history.
Adebusoye who made this known during a media workshop on ‘Budget Monitoring and Analysis’ organised by Nigerian Urban Reproductive Health Initiative 2, (NURHI 2) said that the 23 percent implementation amount to underperformance compared to what the state used to experience in the past.
He said when the Lagos State government passed the N1.046 trillion budget for 2018, and health got N92.676 billion representing 8.86 percent of the entire budget, they were excited even though it was not up to the recommended 15 percent.
He added that it was very unfortunate that implementation remains at 23 percent, about N21.315 billion.
He explained that this meant the state planned to spend just N40, 000 on every Lagosian across board, with a miserly N3, 000 of this amount on health and what every Lagosian eventually got for health was not up to N1, 200, describing it as disgraceful and pathetic.
He revealed that this meant that if 100 people were living with HIV and were to be cared for by the budget, only 23 percent could be attended to with the available money. “What it means is that the remaining 77 percent should go and die or go on to infect others.
On his part, State Team Leader for NURHI 2 in Lagos, Edun Omasanjuwa urged the state government to prioritize health budget implementation so as to give citizens access to better and quality healthcare services.