Ikotun fire kills 1, injures others
A fire outbreak at Ikotun area of Lagos has left one person dead, with many others injured.
The fire incident, which occurred at No 4, Ben Okonkwo Street, Off Governor’s Road, Ikotun, started Friday night in the storey building, which housed eight mini-flats. The fire, it was said got ignited by a two-year-old child.
The fire outbreak, it was learnt occurred in one of the mini flats on the top floor of the said building.
Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) Response Team’s investigation revealed that the fire broke out from the said apartment when the woman of the house, a mother of three children, in an act of carelessness, reportedly lit a candle after power outage occurred in the area.
She thereafter went out of the apartment, leaving behind her three children inside the apartment despite a candle lit.
In the conflagration, which followed the woman’s carelessness that burnt their apartment to the rafters, also burnt the last of her three children, a boy of about 2 years old.
Meanwhile, eyewitness accounts had it that in spite of the early arrival of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) Response Team and its concerted efforts, elder brother of the dead victim still sustained minor burns, while their pregnant mother slumped.
In that development, the pregnant mother who reportedly slumped as a result of psychological trauma of the loss of her two-year old child and possible inhalation of smoke fumes from the fire, was taken to the hospital for treatment.
At the conclusion of their mission, the LASEMA Response Team handed over the rest of the fire incident investigation over to Police Officers from Ikotun Police Station on their arrival.
In a bid to serve Lagos residents better, LASEMA advised residents to report disasters quicker by calling the Toll Free 767 or 112 Emergency lines on time.